The Capelrig Cross, Mearns, Renfrewshire: St Blane's Chapel, Lochearnhead, Perthshire; and a Sculptured Slab at Kilmaronock, Dumbartonshire

A Lacaille (Author)


Keyword(s):
Double Beaded, Churchyard, Boulder, Chapel, Plain Rectangular Building, Sword Circles
Period(s):
16th Century

Abstract


The Capelrig Cross is the shaft of a free-standing cross in its original socket which has been removed to Kelvingrove Museum. The decoration on all four surfaces is double beaded interlaced work which is poorly preserved. The ruined chapel of St Blane was a plain rectangular building. A nearby boulder is carved with two incised stones. A recumbant slab in the churchyard at Kilmaronock displays a cross, a sword, circles and a series of squares.

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.
Published
30-11-1927
How to Cite
Lacaille, A. (1927). The Capelrig Cross, Mearns, Renfrewshire: St Blane’s Chapel, Lochearnhead, Perthshire; and a Sculptured Slab at Kilmaronock, Dumbartonshire. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, 61, 122-142. Retrieved from http://soas.is.ed.ac.uk/index.php/psas/article/view/7694
Section
Articles

Most read articles by the same author(s)

1 2 3 > >>