The Pre-Reformation Endowments of the Magdalen Chapel, Cowgate, Edinburgh

John Smith (Author)


Keyword(s):
Chapel
Period(s):
1541

Abstract


The chapel was founded in 1541 and is thought to be the only one in Edinburgh which retained all of its pre-Reformation endowments. By a provision in the original Charter of Foundation and Mortification the Incorporation of the Hammermen of Edinburgh were appointed patrons and the chapel became their meeting place at the Reformation. A description of the various endowments, some of which were still paid at the time of writing, is provided.

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.
Published
30-11-1927
How to Cite
Smith, J. (1927). The Pre-Reformation Endowments of the Magdalen Chapel, Cowgate, Edinburgh. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, 61, 251-258. Retrieved from http://soas.is.ed.ac.uk/index.php/psas/article/view/7704
Section
Articles